Monday 10 September 2012

War or Competition?

Is it war or competition?
Today I happened to watch a new reality show Sur Kshetra (Area of Music) on television. The programme is named after Kuru Kshetra (Area of War) where the famous battle was fought between the Kauravas and Pandavas in the mythological epic Mahabharat.
The reality show is basically a music competition between the budding singers from Pakistan and India. The aim is bring the two nations together through music.
The concept is good as the ordinary peace loving citizens of both the countries want to see their nations in a friendly relation.
But instead of a healthy musical competition, the way the programme is developing it appears more like a battle. The words and phrases, which are used and the expressions of the team leaders are full of scorn.
I understand the expressions and choice of words is to symbolise a war - being fought with music and not with weapon.
But there was something in the programme which made me uncomfortable. The programme has phrases and gestures which are hostile. When the aim is to build cordial relation through music then why start in a negative way. How can someone think of striking a friendship or strengthening friendship with hostile looks and sharp tongue - I fail to understand. I have already started silently praying for India and am no more able to appreciate the wonderful singers of Pakistan!
We have seen - over the years - every time India and Pakistan are playing cricket it become a battle of national pride. It no more remains a game.
Same way this music competition too has become a kind of war and no more its an innocent programme.
The programme has though beautiful singers from the two countries and I think it could have been a better programme if it was planned and formulated on a positive note!


1 comment:

Alok Pandey said...

Beautifully written sis. Though I haven't watched the program nor intend to since I don't have patience for analogue viewing. But you have once again shown us the power of mighty pen especially when given to a wordsmith like you. I can truly say that when I read it, it felt as if I was playing with necklace of pearls!