Sunday 26 July 2009

my mother

My friend GS says that the topic of Euthanasia needs more debate. I totally agree with him.

Off late I am seeing my mother suffering. She had been a very independent, hard working and energetic woman throughout her life. While I was growing up I saw her as an `indispensable person' in any festival or function anywhere in my big family. A good cook and a beautiful manager she was in great demand and she subserviently was present everywhere taking over all burdens and freeing others of all responsibilities. No marriage was complete without her.

The best part was - which I think others admired the most - was that she was never seen or heard working - she was so quiet. May be that was the reason she was liked by everyone.

Even at home I don't remember doing any household chore as she let us be free to study and play, and grow as children. Her theory was : every girl has to manage her home one day or the other so let her feel like a princess till the time she is in her parents' home. And she was right in her thinking.

I also took the clue and never asked my daughter for any work and always treated her like a princess. Just like my mother attended to all my tantrums (being the youngest of the three I did have my time) and pampered us to no limit, I also try to pamper my children and make effort to attend to their tantrums, albeit I am not good at it.

But my mother maintained a balance and the result was that we were most close to her but at the same time most scared of her. Today I find her helpless, fragile, and in pain. She is dependent on others for all her needs.

I normally don't talk about my personal life on my blog thinking why should I bother others with my worries or waste their time in sharing my achievements. But the issue is not MY mother, it can be any one's mother, father or any one who is dearly loved.

Her condition and a simple comment by GS has forced me to transfer my thoughts on these pages.

It might sound cruel but sometimes when I look at my mother I want to put her to an eternal rest. Wouldn't Euthanasia be the best solution for her problems? Anyone who has lived with the pride not to ask anyone for anything (today that person has to ask everyone for everything), would like to die the same way. Why should we let her go through the mental trauma of depending on others along with her physical ailments.

If she had read the news of Suicide Clinic - or if I tell her about that - I am sure her last wish would be to visit Switzerland - not to see the alps but to die a dignified death.

I stand solidly for Euthanasia.

3 comments:

Ashutosh B said...

Try to become her mother.... she needs that.

Unknown said...

Dear Alka

Just gone thru the blog and understood your pain, but i disagree with the last wish. Like an infant who knows nothing of this cruel world was very well taken care by our mother and we have to reciprocatre now. She is like an infant and we have to play the role of mother. If mother needs to know what her child needs we shud also know what and when our mother needs us and she can still die as one has to die one day a peaceful and contended life and a satisfaction that she was taken care by her very own children and in a much better way.

Prince

Alka Pande said...

I understand what you both say and I agree also to some extent. When I talk of suicide it is not to get rid of her or free us of any burden but to free her of her pain and agony in which she is living and being her daughter I know she would have never ever even dreamt of living in this situation and being dependent on anyone.
She hates being pitied or taken care of but she cant afford to be on her own.
But life is cruel....